CATEGORIES

"CHILDHOOD MEMORIES" - Stories about my childhood in Slippery Rock (8)



"THE FLIG STORIES" - What happened to "The Flig" on his journey (11)



" A BOYHOOD AFIELD" - Short stories about learning to hunt and fish (15)



"WHAT'S GOLF GOT TO DO WITH IT?" - The game of golf's impact on my life (3)

Saturday, February 20, 2010

SRHS CLASS OF 1968 FUN FACTS


This listing of random thoughts and facts was prepared for the 40th reunion of the Slippery Rock Area High School Class of 1968

Did you know that?

· The Sarn actually published Bill Albert’s nickname as “Whop”?
· Other colorful nicknames were, “Snipe, Alf, Caveman, Ding, Shorty, Tiny, Bat Frad, Turtle, Bun, Farmer John, Diamond Jim, Frog, Grakus, Oss, Moss, Dumbwaiter, Horse, Foxie, Chunk, Camel, Indian, Anaheim, Sugarlips, Bass, Squeak, Sudsy, and Wildman.
· Bill Basham’s goal (along with 10 others) was to become a beautician?
· One of the most popular future goals was, “undecided”. Others were, “work”, “military service”, and “college”.
· Jim Lewis did NOT list a future goal of “pastoring five churches at the same time.”
· An incentive for making the varsity basketball team was you got your picture taken in your warm-up suit instead of short shorts like the JV team.
· One of the most frequent compliments when people signed your yearbook was that you were “tuff”. As in, “To a really tuff kid. Remember all the great times we had. Never change. AFA, Mole”.
· Doug McCool got suspended for wearing his hair in a “Beatle haircut” in 8th grade.
· Our Sarn had at least three examples of fathers and sons represented in photos. The obvious is Tim Benton and his father the teacher. The other two were Gene Allison and his father in his Isalys advertisement and me and my father in his car dealership ad. Of course the Cooper twins, Debbie Bussard, Barry Rose, Gary Baierl, and Marty Holtz had their mothers featured in staff photos.
· Mini Sharma, the class valedictorian, received a year’s subscription to the Reader’s Digest as a reward.


Do you remember?

· There were 185 in our graduating class
· Large wooden red and gray hall passes
· Getting caught in the hall by Mr. Nitowski without one
· There actually was a Latin Club.
· There was also a Library Club (I wonder what they did).
· There were both Rifle Team and Rifles Clubs.
· There were also clubs for future teachers and future nurses (I wonder how many actually achieved those goals).
· The cafeteria strike.
· Terri Lachuka, our foreign exchange student.
· Never seeing a girl in pants or a boy in jeans.


1968 Happenings

· Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King, Jr. were both assassinated that year.
· New songs in 1968 - “Lady Will Power”, “Jumpin Jack Flash”, “Honey”, “Spooky”, “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band”, “Lady Madonna”, “Hey Jude”, “Up up and Away”, “McArthur Park”, “Yummy Yummy Yummy”, and “I’m Gonna Make You Love Me”.
· The TV shows “College Bowl”, “Laugh-In”, “Hollywood Squares”, and “60 Minutes” premiered.
· The Packers beat the Raiders in only the 2nd Super Bowl.
· Major League Baseball set its minimum salary at $10,000.
· The musical “Hair” opened in NYC.
· Nixon defeats Humphrey for president.
· OJ Simpson won the Heisman Trophy.
· First Boeing 747 produced.
· Man orbited the moon for the first time.


If I had to go to High School today at age 58

· I’d expect the teachers to do a better job since my tax dollars are paying their salaries.
· I’d have my arm around my girlfriend as we walked the halls so she could hold me up.
· With an enlarged prostate I’d have to ask for a hall pass about every half hour.
· The only drugs I’d be concerned with would be those that address heartburn, high blood pressure, arthritis, headache, allergies, and erectile dysfunction.
· With a pocket calculator I could immediately tell Mr. Webster what 13 times 15 was instead of having to memorize it.
· Now that I’m driving a car (or minivan) with a big back seat I’ve forgotten what to do back there.
· I wouldn’t be concerned about getting suspended for smoking I’d just be concerned if I could afford a pack of cigarettes.
· I don’t need to get drunk on the weekend to forget the week’s stress. I can’t remember what happened during the week, let alone what stressed me out.
· The teachers may caution me about wearing my pants too high instead of too low.
· No one would go out for the football team but the golf and rifle teams would be full.How did we ever graduate without cell phones, text messages, calculators, computers, or the internet?


No comments:

Post a Comment